saraabbott37

Sorcerer & Gentleman
Elizabeth Willey
Toll the Hounds: Book Eight of The Malazan Book of the Fallen
Steven Erikson
The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss I loved The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear started out with the same simple charm. While reading it, all I could think of was, "This is the way Harry Potter should have been." We have Kvothe, a male teenager who has suffered much in his young life, but strives to make the best of it instead of wallowing in self-pity. His time at the University is fun and entertaining to read, and I especially loved the parts with his scatter-brained teacher.

But the last half of the book was, to put it simply, terrible. It's like it wasn't even the same story.

The Adem were dull, arrogant, and unlikable. The fact Kvothe spent a third of the story in their presence was frustrating (though perhaps not as frustrating as being in Felurian's presence). Kvothe himself lost most of his character during this and spent literally the entire time focusing only on learning their customs, language and fighting style in silence, never once insulted by the way they treated him and his kind. After weeks of listening to how dirty, useless and uncivilized you are, one might get slightly offended. At least. I would think anyway.

Not to mention he went from awkward boy when it came to romance to god of love and slept with every girl he came across. At fifteen.

Overall I liked the book, but the last half was so disappointing.